marc (at) marc-schaaf.de
I am currently working as a researcher at the Institute for Information Systems of the University of Applied Sciences and Arts Northwestern Switzerland (FHNW). Additionally, I am a guest lecturer at the Department of Computer Science at the University of Applied Sciences and Arts Hanover.
In my research, I am mainly concerned with the design of distributed systems and their implementation in application areas such as Smart Grid, Telecommunications, Sensor Networks etc. Further I am in the process of finalizing my PhD thesis on adaptive event stream processing at the Clausthal University of Technology.
Since 2012 I am an invited researcher at the Enterprise Expert Group of the open standards organization OSGi Alliance, where I participate mainly to the specification and development of Distributed Messaging, Remote Services and Cloud Computing.My main interests are:
- Distributed (event stream processing) systems as well as scalable processing systems
- Computer networks and IT-Security
- Linux, OSGi, Java, ...
- Towards a Timely Root Cause Analysis for Complex Situations in Large Scale Telecommunications Networks . Procedia Computer Science , 60:160-169, 2015., (Knowledge-Based and Intelligent Information \& Engineering Systems 19th Annual Conference, KES-2015, Singapore, September 2015 Proceedings ).
- Ereignisverarbeitung zur Flexiblen Dynamischen Informationsverarbeitung in Smart Cities. HMD Praxis der Wirtschaftsinformatik, pages 1-10, Springer Fachmedien Wiesbaden, 2015.
- The OM4SPACE Activity Service: A semantically well-defined cloud-based event notification middleware. International Journal On Advances in Software, 7:697-709, 2014.
- Intelligent Dynamic Load Management Based on Solar Panel Monitoring. In Smart Grids and Green IT Systems, Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on , pages 76-81, 2014.
- Performance Evaluation of OM4SPACE's Activity Service. , 2014.
- Integrating Structured Peer-to-Peer Networks Into OM4SPACE Project. In AINA Workshops, pages 1211-1216, IEEE Computer Society, 2013.
- Supporting Smart Grids with a Cloud-enabled Activity Service. In EnviroInfo, pages 205-213, Shaker, 2013.
- OSGi in Cloud Environments. , pages 82-92, 2013.
- Event processing with dynamically changing focus: Doctoral consortium paper. In RCIS, pages 1-6, IEEE, 2013.
- Towards a Semantic Definition for a Cloud based Event Notification Service. In CLOSER, pages 345-349, SciTePress, 2013.
- Towards an Agile E-Commerce. In SEMAPRO 2012, The Sixth International Conference on Advances in Semantic Processing, pages 5-10, 2012.
- Semantic complex event processing. Recent Researches in Applied Information Science, pages 38-43, 2012.
- Automatic Scaling of Complex-Event Processing Applications in Eucalyptus. In Proceedings of the 2012 IEEE 15th International Conference on Computational Science and Engineering 15Th Ieee International Conference On Computational Science And Engineering (Cse 2012) / 10Th Ieee/Ifip International Conference On Embedded And Ubiquitous Computing (Euc 2012), pages 22-29, IEEE Computer Society, 2012.
- Active Mechanisms for Cloud Environments. In ICDS 2012, The Sixth International Conference on Digital Society, pages 109-114, 2012.
- Security of a Public Cloud.. In IMIS, pages 564-569, 2012.
- Asynchronous messaging for OSGi. In Information Technology Interfaces (ITI), Proceedings of the ITI 2012 34th International Conference on, pages 99-104, 2012.
- Testing the Suitability of Cassandra for Cloud Computing Environments. In CLOUD COMPUTING 2011, The Second International Conference on Cloud Computing, GRIDs, and Virtualization, pages 86-91, 2011.
- Cloud-Based Event-Processing Architecture for Opinion Mining. In Services (SERVICES), 2011 IEEE World Congress on, pages 272-279, 2011.
- Context-Aware Website Personalization. In Knowlege-Based and Intelligent Information and Engineering Systems Knowledge-Based And Intelligent Information And Engineering Systems, Pt Ii, 6882:51-62, Springer Berlin / Heidelberg, 2011.
- Integrating Asynchronous Communication into the OSGI Service Platform. In WEBIST'11, pages 165-168, 2011.
- Scaling in Cloud Environments. In Proceedings of the 15th WSEAS International Conference on Computers, pages 145-150, World Scientific and Engineering Academy and Society (WSEAS), 2011.
- Event Processing in the Cloud Environment with Well Defined Semantics. In Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Cloud Computing and Services Science (CLOSER), pages 176-179, 2011.
- Defining Events as a Foundation of an Event Notification Middleware for the Cloud Ecosystem. In Knowlege-Based and Intelligent Information and Engineering Systems Knowledge-Based And Intelligent Information And Engineering Systems, Pt Ii, 6882:275-284, Springer Berlin / Heidelberg, 2011.
- An Active DBMS Style Activity Service for Cloud Environments. In 1st Intl. Conf. on Cloud Computing, GRIDs, and Virtualization: Cloud Computing 2010 in ComputationWorld 2010, IARIA, pages 80-85, 2010.
- Extending OSGi by Means of Asynchronous Messaging. , 2009., (Master Thesis).
- Die Mobile OSGi-Implementierung Sprint Titan. JavaSPEKTRUMpages 34-38, 2009.
- Distributed Services - OSGi 4.2 and possible future enhancements . , 2009., (Presentation at the OSGi Developer Conference 2009 Europe).